Workshop on Modeling Air Toxics with HYSPLIT
Mark Cohen gave a one-day course August 24, 2009 on modeling air toxics with HYSPLIT to a group of Mexican government and academic scientists in Mexico City. The course was part of a week-long workshop organized by the Commission for Environmental Cooperation (CEC).
The course utilized the extensive training materials developed for HYSPLIT by Roland Draxler, Glenn Rolph and others at ARL, and also included new materials regarding simulation of mercury and dioxin. Several hand’s-on computer modeling exercises were included in the training. More information, including workshop data and materials, is available regarding this 2009 Mexico Air Toxics Training.
Review of Great Lakes Air Toxics
A five-part set of review documents regarding the emissions, monitoring, fate and transport of toxic air pollutants in relation to the Great Lakes was prepared for the International Joint Commission (IJC) in 1997. The review focused on the 27 Level I and Level II pollutants identified in the Binational Virtual Elimination Strategy.
- IJC Review Part 1 (Atmospheric Fate): Cohen, M., Long Range Transport of Persistent Atmospheric Pollutants.
- IJC Review Part 2 (Emissions): Cohen, M., Evaluation of Emissions Inventories in the U.S. and Canada for Level I and Level II Pollutants.
- IJC Review Part 3 (Monitoring): Cohen, M., and P. Cooney, The Use of Ambient Monitoring to Estimate the Atmospheric Loading of Persistent Toxic Substances to the Great Lakes.
- IJC Review Part 4 (Modeling): Cohen, M., Modeling the Atmospheric Transport and Deposition of Persistent Toxic Pollutants to the Great Lakes.
- IJC Review Part 5 (Summary): Cohen,M., et al., The Transport and Deposition of Persistent Toxic Substances to the Great Lakes.
Other Air Toxics Overviews
Overview presentations regarding atmospheric toxics include the following:
- Atmospheric Processes: Transport of Air Toxics, Source-Receptor Relationships. Presentation at the National Park Service’s Air Toxics Workshop, Seattle, WA , June 26-27, 2001
- Linkages Between Monitoring and Modeling of PBT’s. Presentation at the US EPA’s PBT Monitoring Strategy Workshop (also available as as a PowerPoint presentation [16 MB]), April 22-24, 2002, Raleigh, North Carolina.
- Linkages Between Environmental Monitoring and Modeling (also available as as a PowerPoint presentation [8 MB]). Presentation at NADP 2003: Long Term Monitoring: Supporting Science and Informing Policy, October 20-22, 2003, Washington